Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Holidays are here

Is it really that time of year again? Thanksgiving is just a few days away and I find my self so excited. All of my life my grandmother has always done the cooking,up until the past few years when we all pitched in because it was just to much on her. And in the past 4 years I have been making dishes and taking them down. When I was single and had my head so far up my butt I couldn't breath I never even thought of cooking. I was good to get to dinner on time. But after I got married and had a family of my own that all changed. For once I took pride in cooking and sharing with the rest of my family. Once year was some Oreo dessert that I totally botched from the normal recipe and couldn't make it that way again if I tried. That's one one my cousin Barrett still ask me to make, another year it was my mother in laws recipe for hash brown casserole, Then there was baked sweet potatoes ( I couldn't tell you if they were good, I don't eat them).

This year as I sat down to rack my brain on just what would I make this year there was only only thing sticking out in my mind PECAN PIE. Mamaw used to have every pie you could think of at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm talking no store bought anything. Good old fashion southern cooking the right way. But with her arthritis and just being 80 there is no way she could spend days preparing these things. She does however still make her chocolate pies. She is the South Arkansas Queen of the chocolate pie. And she says she doesn't want to hear my dad complaining there is no chocolate pie, she would lay on the floor to make that pie just to avoid his disappointment lol. So with all of her energy going into her dressing that NO ONE can make like her and her chocolate pie that leaves out my all time favorite. The one item that tells my body and soul that its the holidays and that's pecan pie.

So I told my self ok that's this years project. I have thought of going all out making the crust from scratch and all lol BUUUUT I am known for chucking food across the house that makes me mad and Josh is the one that has to clean it up while I'm in the corner crying lol. So Ill just buy the crust so we know it edible. I will also be preparing my cheese and garlic mashed potatoes with roasted garlic! Sounds like it should be pretty easy and hassle free. The hard part is getting packed and loaded and down there. I cant wait!! And as soon as its over that means I CAN PUT ALL MY CHRISTMAS STUFF UP YAY!!!!!

This year on turkey day also marks my south Polk county sistas' birthday. Happy Birthday Ashley We love you and Im sorry we will be out of town on your day! I hope every one has a spectacular day filled with lots of memories!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes! It's not too bad being a Turkey baby.

P.S. You should ask Berta for her pecan pie recipe. It is out of this world and I hate pecan pie. If that tells you anything.

lookmom said...

I can't belive you don't like pecan pie! It is only the best thing in this world lol. Hope you guys have a great week!