Friday, November 20, 2009

The boys in blue

So I guess I'm on a blogger bloggy roll this week. But now that my heart rate is back down I would like to share a little bit with you what it is like to grow up in a law enforcement family. When I was a kid we never really thought anything about dad going to work. He was a state trooper no big deal. He had a cool car, a scary gun that by NO means were we to get anywhere near, and some of the coolest buddies known to man kind. There was never once a thought of this could be the last time I see my daddy. Also back in those days there wasn't all these shows about wild police chases and stuff like that, so we had no clue. I wasn't until 1997 when our family was so lucky to be honered with a stalker.

This was the first time in my life that it hit me that wow my dad has a dangerous job. After MANY months of this guys shenanigans he was busted down from our home setting in his truck with a gun. Then the big state law kicked in about dark tint on your windows due to cops being shot on the hwy. By now I'm in my teens and I catching on to alot more of why mom doesn't sleep well when dads working.

A year later we moved to Polk County. Dad was finally off the roads and was the states newest criminal investigator specializing in sex crimes against children. To me this meant no more late night worrying if dad was coming home. Although he has the most god awful job in the world, and sees more in 8 hours of one day than I want to ever see in a lifetime I thought maybe this job was much safer for my father who is now in his 50's.

This all came to a halt last night after getting a phone call from my mom. I knew dad was in Hot Springs working a homicide mainly bc I had just gotten off the phone from him less than an hour before moms' phone call. I answer the phone and she says "If you watch the news dads ok" WHAT! Well when trying to capture a suspect they opened fire. Shooting 2 Garland County Deputies. Even though I had already heard the words your dad is ok I still panic. Where was he, where was the shooter, is he ok lol. So its only like 7:30 and the news doesn't air till 9 YOU MEAN I HAVE TO WAIT. I am on ever site trying to find a pic where maybe I can see my dad holding up a sign reading"JODI GO TO BED I'M OK" Well now we all know that didn't happen right.

After a few hours I finally get that phone call and heard his voice and was somewhat at ease with that. It wasn't until this morning when mom said he made it home somewhere between 3-6 am that I was ok. When we moved here I really thought we wouldn't have these nights anymore. But then thought about all the other man hunts, robberies, murders, this that yada he has worked in the past 10 years and I told my self he wont ever be SAFE until these last 3 years are finally over with. THEN we will only have my baby brother working one of the most infamous drug running interstates in the U.S. Ah that's what only the next 3o something years of my life lol.

To my sister in law. Just know that you are not alone. I guess it just comes with the territory. Welcome to a law enforcement family! I am so proud of both my father and little brother for being so brave and putting their life on the line everyday to serve and protect us

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Great post hun! I'm glad they are out there protecting my family too!

Jamey and Crystal said...

I too am very thankful for your dad and my husband for what they do. I try to not think about the dangerous side of things because it really gets to me. I know he is doing a job that he loves, and I am thankful for that. People are so crazy these days. I just pray every night for jamey and gordo to be watched over and to be able to come home to their families every night safely. Glad Gordon is safe.

lookmom said...

Thanks Ash! I figured I would make my blogging yoda proud of me for the day lol.

Crystal well know that we not only pray for jamey but we pray for you to. I pray you get plenty of sleep in the night and that your blood presure stays normal lol. It takes a strong woman to be a wife of an officer and you my dear are def a strong woman. I am so honered to have you as my sister in law